Parents can provide/support opportunities for authentic language experience outside the classroom:
- Vacation camps in a country where that language is spoken (with children who are native speakers of the second language), and/or stays with native-speaking families in the country
- Use of videos, tapes, CD-ROMs in the other language(s). English-speaking families should insist on these materials in French / Spanish / the other language.
- Actively listening to the child's reading or recitation in the immersion language
- Arranging after-school and weekend contacts between the child and classmates who are native speakers
- Providing an “au pair” experience (a young native speaker of the immersion language who comes to spend an extended period of time in the